Tuesday, November 8, 2011

How do you spell relief?

My mind is constantly reflecting on the issues of relief and development. I just can't help it - I live in a country whose infrastructure has literally declined over the past decade rather than seen even the most miniscule of advances. I am a registered nurse, therefore concerned about health and health issues. And I am finishing up a Masters in Public Health with an emphasis on international public health. Effective methods and strategies for tackling the immense issues that we see in Central Africa are constantly on my mind.

To be honest, these things also weigh on my mind because I'm a missionary and I have a great network of supporting churches and individuals who give generously of their finances and prayers to allow us to live here. I take that support very seriously.

So I try to do a lot of reading on relief and development, effective techniques, best practice strategies, etc. Because the reality is - Relief and Development is an entire track of study - just like education or medicine or even theology.

Right now I'm reading an excellent book that I would recommend to ANYONE, missionary, pastor, interested lay person. It's called "When Helping Hurts" by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert. After discussing the difference between "relief" (the need to provide IMMEDIATE assistance such as the immediate hours or days after a natural disaster) and "development" (addressing issues of poverty - and not just material poverty, but relational, emotional, and spiritual as well) I found the following paragraph:
"Ironically, you will also typically find that most existing organizations in your community are focusing on providing relief. Why? There are at least three reasons. First, many service organizations have a material definition of poverty; hence, they believe that handouts of material things are the solution to that poverty. As a result, they often provide relief to people who really need development. Second, relief is easier to do than development. It is much simpler to drop food out of airplanes or to ladle soup out of bowls than it is to develop long-lasting, time-consuming relationships with poor epople, which may be emotionally exhausting. Third, it is easier to get donor money for relief than for development. "We fed a thousand people today" sounds better to donors than "We hung out and developed relationships with a dozen people today." (When Helping Hurts, Corbett and Fikkert - the page shows up different on my Kindle, so I don't know the exact page in the book, but it's page 1885 on my e-reader).

I'm really struck by those words..........I have to admit - relief is "sexier" than development. It's a lot easier to write about a huge food or medicine distribution rather than to write about a small training seminar of 10 community health workers. And I also admit - there are times when I feel pressured from wonderful supporters to do more relief (even when the circumstances don't call for it) than development. I want to minister in a way that turns people and communities towards Christ, in a way that encourages independence and not dependence.

I haven't written on this blog in so long - that probably no one is even reading my musing, but if you are, I'd love to hear your thoughts. As a supporter or a church pastor/member who is heavily involved in missions - does relief seem more attractive than development? How do we bridge this gap so that lives are touched - but touched in ways that leave true change?




2 comments:

  1. I'm just reading your blogs....this one is very good. It is an issue we continually struggle with here. I may get that book. There are so many messed up people both in and out of the church....how much do you do? I think it will be a continuous question we wrestle with, but I think it's a good struggle. I always seem to hear God telling me "just love them, Heidi". I can't fix all their problems and bad choices, but I can keep pointing them to Jesus, and suggest His way of doing things rather than the world's. Anyway, thanks for the thought provoking blog! Heidi L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suzanne! Glad to see that you have really been enjoying reading the book "When Helping Hurts". Your comments about the quote of the book are so very true! I have had those same feelings. We have often experienced what this sentence says: "We hung out and developed relationships with a dozen people today."
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Suzanne...hopefully, we'll get to see each other a bit more often in the near future..God bless you!
    Iris K.

    ReplyDelete