Sunday, June 28, 2009

These past couple of months I've had quite a few invitations to speak at various churches around the city, mainly during the Tuesday morning women's meetings. I love speaking at women's meetings. Anyone who has spent time in Africa knows that women are truly the backbone of this continent, despite their often diminished societal role. I am always amazed by African women - their strength (both physical and emotional), their hardiness, their perseverance, and their often amazing spiritual commitment.

I was just recently told of the results of a study (done by one of the larger aid organizations here); 80% of the "households" here in Kinshasa are dependent upon women and young girls - meaning that 80% of the homes here are run and financially supported by the activities of the women; be it adult women or even young girls.

As I have traveled around the city, going to various churches I can believe it! Everywhere you look there are little tables set up, selling random items: tomato paste, sardines, locally made soap, bread.........and almost always run by a small girl. The markets are alive with women buying and selling.

Going to these churches has opened my eyes to several things. First of all Kinshasa is HUGE!!! I knew it was big - the population numbers that you hear range from 8 - 16 million inhabitants......you can turn off a main road here and drive into the depths of the city forever. Vast areas of crowded, extremely substandard housing in filthy, sanitation lacking areas. But the women press on. They come to these meetings, they are joyful, they worship God, they look for answers.

When I'm asked to come I am always asked to speak on a health related topic. The women are so motivated. They crowd around the front of the church and take notes the entire time. There is always a question and answer period at the end that eventually has to be cut off, or I'd never get to leave. Seeing the motivation of the women and the living conditions that they struggle to improve has touched me tremendously. I have begun talking to some leaders in the churches here, suggesting a special women's task force. A group of influential church women who could get together and pray and discuss health related issues that they see their people facing. The idea being that as they talk and discuss, we'll prioritize what they think are the main issues and develop a strategy of education and response, lead by these women.

Pray for me as I work with these women leaders on public health issues. The Assemblies of God of Congo has several hundred churches in this city - mobilizing them in an education and response campaign has the capacity to touch tens of thousands of lives.

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne,

    It is wonderful to read your most recent posts. I am glad that we have been able to keep up with some of your activities since we saw you in Seattle a number of years ago. Your son sounds like a wonderful young man. I am sure your daughters are superb also.

    I have just been reading a wonderful but sad, eye-opening book called "Where have all the Mothers Gone?" It is about the horrible loss of mothers in Africa due to maternal mortality and HIV/AIDS. I am not sure where it is going to lead but I want to do something.

    John Coppes

    ReplyDelete